Favorite Board Games

Saint Drogo

Personal Assistant
Messages
46,468
Likes
104
#51
Fenster said:
It's good, but the AI players are horawful.
That is what happened to the 1st computer version of Diplomacy.  The AI, even set to its most difficult level, was no match for even a novice Diplomacy player...it was quite disappointing
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#52
EstherB said:
Anyone played Skip Bo?  We always take it on our Girl's Weekends and it's quite fun.  Especially with wine.
One of my grandma's favorite games.  She's notorious for cheating.
 

Tsunami

Personal Assistant
Donator
Messages
27,765
Likes
3,052
#53
Duckworth Lewis said:
I've got a five day ski camp coming up that will be spent in a yurt in the UP -- lots of euchre on the horizon.
Non-skiing, non-mountain man here (not really any in PA) -- :icon_wtf: is a yurt?
 

Saint Drogo

Personal Assistant
Messages
46,468
Likes
104
#54
Tsunami said:
 
It does seem that Pinochle rules are fluid from group to group.  I can get past that, but disregarding the rules makes it impossible to play.
It definitely made it impossible to learn.  My dad would try to explain the rules as they were supposed to be --- meanwhile, an entirely different game was being played before me.  I am pretty good at abstract thinking, but it became impossible to keep the two concepts separate...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#55
Saint Drogo said:
That is what happened to the 1st computer version of Diplomacy.  The AI, even set to its most difficult level, was no match for even a novice Diplomacy player...it was quite disappointing
With A&A I've set all the rules and options against me and even let the AI play a country on my side and still had no trouble.  :icon_magnum: needs to get Amber to play.
 

Saint Drogo

Personal Assistant
Messages
46,468
Likes
104
#56
Duckworth Lewis said:
Ah yes...Masterpiece. My sister cheated extravagently, like she did with most every other board game.
My brother didn't exactly cheat --- he simply quit, two hours into a Monopoly game, once it became clear that he wouldn't win, totally upsetting the dynamics of the game.  Eventually my other brother & I simply refused to allow him to play board games with us at all.
 

Duckworth Lewis

Personal Assistant
Messages
24,573
Likes
173
#59
Saint Drogo said:
That is what happened to the 1st computer version of Diplomacy.  The AI, even set to its most difficult level, was no match for even a novice Diplomacy player...it was quite disappointing
We played a lot of Diplomacy back in the day -- darn tricky convoy rules.
 
Messages
3,565
Likes
0
#60
Duckworth Lewis said:
Euchre & Hearts took up most of my junior year of college. Good friends of mine won the IU intramural championship in Euchre -- they would also slink away to play Bridge with grad students and other adults.

I've got a five day ski camp coming up that will be spent in a yurt in the UP -- lots of euchre on the horizon.
A yurt?!  I'm jealous.  I want a yurt.  Put it in the middle of no where and call it a life.  I'm planning to go back to Colorado and stay in a yurt.  Those ones don't have any power.  I needs my 'lectricty.
 

Duckworth Lewis

Personal Assistant
Messages
24,573
Likes
173
#61
barkley said:
A yurt?!  I'm jealous.  I want a yurt.  Put it in the middle of no where and call it a life.  I'm planning to go back to Colorado and stay in a yurt.  Those ones don't have any power.  I needs my 'lectricty.
This is the actual yurt where we'll be at the top of the Yoop.

 

hate the cowboys

Umbrella Person
Messages
4,911
Likes
0
#62
EstherB said:
Anyone played Skip Bo?  We always take it on our Girl's Weekends and it's quite fun.  Especially with wine.
My wife and I played all the time when we were first married, and we didn't have a TV.  She won 36 strait times and I refused to player her any more.  Grace and I play when she ask me, she wins all the time too  ::)
 
Messages
3,565
Likes
0
#63
Duckworth Lewis said:
This is the actual yurt where we'll be at the top of the Yoop.

[shakes fist] Darn you!  Does it have electricity?  I would assume so.

$20,000 for a 30 x 30 yurt from Colorado Yurt Company.  That's bigger than my first apartment. 
 

Marleykiss

Personal Assistant
Messages
16,223
Likes
243
#64
Duckworth Lewis said:
Round temporary structure -- the Mongolian version of a teepee.

So it's an ice shanty on solid ground.  Same rules apply I would assume..don't pass out in the fire, don't pee in the fishing hole and pass the schnapps.
 

Saint Drogo

Personal Assistant
Messages
46,468
Likes
104
#65
Duckworth Lewis said:
We played a lot of Diplomacy back in the day -- darn tricky convoy rules.
You have to dislodge the convoy in order to disrupt it.  I still play e-mail Diplomacy, which is just tremendous fun.  Never knew who else in this particular mob played it.  I consider it to be one of the greatest board games ever --- no random luck involved, and spectacularly amoral.
 
Messages
3,565
Likes
0
#66
Saint Drogo said:
You have to dislodge the convoy in order to disrupt it.  I still play e-mail Diplomacy, which is just tremendous fun.  Never knew who else in this particular mob played it.  I consider it to be one of the greatest board games ever --- no random luck involved, and spectacularly amoral.
I've never heard of it.  Methinks I need to wiki said game o'funness.
 

Duckworth Lewis

Personal Assistant
Messages
24,573
Likes
173
#69
barkley said:
[shakes fist] Darn you!  Does it have electricity?  I would assume so.

$20,000 for a 30 x 30 yurt from Colorado Yurt Company.  That's bigger than my first apartment. 
Yes to electricity and indoor plumbing. No wifi or cell coverage.
 

Saint Drogo

Personal Assistant
Messages
46,468
Likes
104
#70
Duckworth Lewis said:
Nothing like completely screwing over another player, and then, a couple of turns later, working in concert with that same player to screw over someone else.
 

johnfarris

Personal Assistant
Messages
7,777
Likes
63
#75
Saint Drogo said:
You have to dislodge the convoy in order to disrupt it.  I still play e-mail Diplomacy, which is just tremendous fun.  Never knew who else in this particular mob played it.  I consider it to be one of the greatest board games ever --- no random luck involved, and spectacularly amoral.
This does sound like a fun game, the more I check out about it.

Would there be interest in starting a Play by Email game here?
 
Top