Show Discussion - Friday, Feburary 8th 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpua

Kornmissioner
Staff member
Messages
43,081
Likes
1,137
#77
The Bopper said:
I like to think I know music pretty well, and Winehouse could be one of the most influential people in music in this generation, if she can keep his veins clear and her lips off the crack pipe, and ditch that loser boyfrield, Blake Fielder Civil...
with music so diversified and audiences so fragmented can anybody be all that influential these days?
 

Bill Lehecka

General Zod
Staff member
Messages
34,901
Likes
314
#81
I do the opposite for lent.  I eat a shitload of meat on Friday and abstain the rest of the week.  I'm CRAZY!
 

dvair

Personal Assistant
Messages
11,287
Likes
103
#83
Bill Lehecka said:
I do the opposite for lent.  I eat a shitload of meat on Friday and abstain the rest of the week.  I'm CRAZY!
Do you know your cuts of meat ?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#84
bobafett said:
just do a blog and work in references to the 90s tv shows, 80s tv shows and eventually ESPN will notice
I have a few thoughts on this guy.

First, I'm ever closing in on 30, and have recently quit my job.  I was VERY close to just quitting and getting a job in retail and doing freelance stuff, but got good advice and was able to parlay that advice into enough big freelance clients to go out on my own and not need to find a job.

That said, I find myself more passionate about doing my podcast than some of the work I do.  And we're trying to get it noticed and more and more play.  So I spend a lot of my time doing t-shirts for Tony and Mike, and doing my podcast because I love to do that stuff, and because at some point, I'm convinced it will benefit me...even if just in doing the charity stuff helps some karmic sense.

So I applaud the guy for doing it, but at the same time, you need money, and there isn't any in sportswriting when you start out.  Like you guys said, start a blog, get some people reading it, and for the eight hours you have to spend at a desk, think about ways to make it better, get ads to pay for it, THEN quit your job.
 

Harpua

Kornmissioner
Staff member
Messages
43,081
Likes
1,137
#86
Bill Lehecka said:
I do the opposite for lent.  I eat a shitload of meat on Friday and abstain the rest of the week.  I'm CRAZY!
a diet of nothing but these

 

bobafett

"Real" Doctor
Staff member
Messages
38,714
Likes
676
#87
Dan Levy said:
So I applaud the guy for doing it, but at the same time, you need money, and there isn't any in sportswriting when you start out.  Like you guys said, start a blog, get some people reading it, and for the eight hours you have to spend at a desk, think about ways to make it better, get ads to pay for it, THEN quit your job.
Or marry a doctor, but not a REAL doctor
 

Bill Lehecka

General Zod
Staff member
Messages
34,901
Likes
314
#88
Dan Levy said:
I have a few thoughts on this guy.

First, I'm ever closing in on 30, and have recently quit my job.  I was VERY close to just quitting and getting a job in retail and doing freelance stuff, but got good advice and was able to parlay that advice into enough big freelance clients to go out on my own and not need to find a job.

That said, I find myself more passionate about doing my podcast than some of the work I do.  And we're trying to get it noticed and more and more play.  So I spend a lot of my time doing t-shirts for Tony and Mike, and doing my podcast because I love to do that stuff, and because at some point, I'm convinced it will benefit me...even if just in doing the charity stuff helps some karmic sense.

So I applaud the guy for doing it, but at the same time, you need money, and there isn't any in sportswriting when you start out.  Like you guys said, start a blog, get some people reading it, and for the eight hours you have to spend at a desk, think about ways to make it better, get ads to pay for it, THEN quit your job.
This is a smart idea.  You might get a gig with a news outlet because they are under the impression that bloggers have more cred that newspaper guys and reporters. It's odd, but it's the best way to get recognized.

I mean, who knew Perez Hilton drawing penises on celebrities in his blog would make him a millionaire?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#93
bobafett said:
Or marry a doctor, but not a REAL doctor
Hey, I married her before she was a doctor, but not a real doctor.  Unless you are talking about yourself, and then that's an awkward coincidence. 
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#99
The Bopper said:
I like to think I know music pretty well, and Winehouse could be one of the most influential people in music in this generation, if she can keep his veins clear and her lips off the crack pipe, and ditch that loser boyfrield, Blake Fielder Civil...
This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have read in several days.  And I read alot.

most influential people in music in this generation

Are you shitting me?  No one would give a flying fuck about her if she wasn't a complete train wreck.  She had a halfway decent debut album.  There are hundreds and hundreds of halfway decent debut albums.  Influential to crack heads maybe, but that is about as far as I would take it.  You need to quit reading US Weekly for your music tips.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top